Re: software install problems

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:00:09AM -0500, Phil Beder wrote:
| At 11:34 PM 12/26/01 -0500, you wrote:
| >On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 11:18:31PM -0500, Phil Beder wrote:
| >| Hello all,
| >| I'm having trouble installing software.  I have downloaded Gimp, Netscape,
| >| Mozilla and others and seem to have compatibility problems with the version
| >| of Debian I'm running.  I thought I had 2.1.1, but in fact it returns Ver
| >| 2.0.36 when issued the uname -a command.
| >|
| >| When I tried to install Netscape and Mozilla I got an error message:
| >| "error loading shared libraries   libgtk-1.2.so.: cannot open shared object
| >| file: No such file or directory"
| >| (I know the libgtk file on my machine is different, probably older)
| >
| >apt-get install libgtk1.2
|
| Tried this and got warnings "Couldn't stat source package list http:// . . .

This means you haven't done an "apt-get update" so the list of
available packages doesn't exist yet.

| Dont have pppconfig installed correctly yet,  (was working now it's not)
| this apt command is looking out onto the web, ... right??

Yeah.

-D

--

The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.

I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.

        Jeremiah 17:9-10