Re: software install problems

Phil Beder <phil@mail.brainlink.com> writes:
PB> I'm having trouble installing software.  I have downloaded Gimp, Netscape,
PB> Mozilla and others and seem to have compatibility problems with the version
PB> of Debian I'm running.  I thought I had 2.1.1, but in fact it returns Ver
PB> 2.0.36 when issued the uname -a command.

uname will return the version of the Linux kernel, not of the Debian
distribution.  Looking in /etc/debian_version should tell you what
version of Debian you actually have.  But Debian 2.1 is pretty old,
especially by Linux standards.  Debian 2.2 has been out for over a
year at this point, and includes some more recent versions of the
software you care about (including, for example, Gtk+ 1.2 and GNU
libc 2.1.3).

(For really really new software, you might find stable too old,
particularly if you have things that require really new versions of
GNOME and/or you want prebuilt things in Debian packages.  But for
general-purpose use there's a good chance you'll find stable does it
for you, particularly if you have old-stable now.)

	-- Abra Mitchell