Re: connecting to a debian box with networking via dchp

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:07:12PM -0500, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> Dear People,
>
> I set up the networking for a Debian box via dchp. The setup asks for a
> host and that is all. No domain name was asked for.

Right, DHCP can feed your machine everything it needs to know about the
network.

> The internet link is
> running, but how do I connect to the box via ssh from outside? I've looked
> at various bits of documentation including the DCHP howto, but they all
> seem focused on getting the connection up, which I had no problems with.
> Also, is it true that I can call the hostname anything I like?

You could but reverse DNS won't work right and some services/computers may
not talk to you.  This is actually pretty rare but it could happen.

> This machine is part of the Unversity of North Carolina network. According
> to the windows setup it has a domain name (some_gibberish.unc.edu) and
> host name (SM103C27513) attached to it. I obediently named my box
> SM103C27513 (ugh) and tried pinging SM103C27513.some_gibberish.unc.edu but
> predicably got no reply.

You tried this from where?  Inside the university or outside?  What's the
output of ifconfig look like?

> One way to resolve this of course would not to use DCHP but use a static
> IP address, domain etc. But would this be better or worse?

That won't help you.  Is there another machine near you that you can check?
If you can find out it's hostname, domain name, and IP address you should
try pinging it.  You should also try pinging your machine from this other
nearby machine using your IP address (as displayed in ifconfig) rather than
your host name.

--
Ray