Re: connecting to a debian box with networking via dchp

On 27 Dec 2001, Ray wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:07:12PM -0500, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> >
> > Dear People,
> >
> > I set up the networking for a Debian box via dchp. The setup asks for a
> > host and that is all. No domain name was asked for.
>
> Right, DHCP can feed your machine everything it needs to know about the
> network.
>
> > The internet link is
> > running, but how do I connect to the box via ssh from outside? I've looked
> > at various bits of documentation including the DCHP howto, but they all
> > seem focused on getting the connection up, which I had no problems with.
> > Also, is it true that I can call the hostname anything I like?
>
> You could but reverse DNS won't work right and some services/computers may
> not talk to you.  This is actually pretty rare but it could happen.
>
> > This machine is part of the Unversity of North Carolina network. According
> > to the windows setup it has a domain name (some_gibberish.unc.edu) and
> > host name (SM103C27513) attached to it. I obediently named my box
> > SM103C27513 (ugh) and tried pinging SM103C27513.some_gibberish.unc.edu but
> > predicably got no reply.
>
> You tried this from where?  Inside the university or outside?  What's the
> output of ifconfig look like?

Tried it from the other machine in my office (also running Debian).
Haven't tried ifconfig.

> > One way to resolve this of course would not to use DCHP but use a static
> > IP address, domain etc. But would this be better or worse?
>
> That won't help you.  Is there another machine near you that you can check?
> If you can find out it's hostname, domain name, and IP address you should
> try pinging it.  You should also try pinging your machine from this other
> nearby machine using your IP address (as displayed in ifconfig) rather than
> your host name.

I can reach out to other machines from this machine, no problem.

I guess I can do the following. Look up the machine's ip address using
ifconfig. Then do a dns lookup from a name server using host or something.
This will give me the machines host name and domain. But I would still
like to call the machine something which I chose. Are you saying this is
not possible? How is the name determined?

                              Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.