connecting to a debian box with networking via dchp

Dear People,

I set up the networking for a Debian box via dchp. The setup asks for a
host and that is all. No domain name was asked for. The internet link is
running, but how do I connect to the box via ssh from outside? I've looked
at various bits of documentation including the DCHP howto, but they all
seem focused on getting the connection up, which I had no problems with.
Also, is it true that I can call the hostname anything I like?

This machine is part of the Unversity of North Carolina network. According
to the windows setup it has a domain name (some_gibberish.unc.edu) and
host name (SM103C27513) attached to it. I obediently named my box
SM103C27513 (ugh) and tried pinging SM103C27513.some_gibberish.unc.edu but
predicably got no reply.

One way to resolve this of course would not to use DCHP but use a static
IP address, domain etc. But would this be better or worse?

                                      Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.