Re: change ethernet to ppp, routing

On Wednesday 26 December 2001 01:24 pm, Ric Otte wrote:
> Yep, I did mean to write that I want to connect to the Internet with ppp,
> instead of "I want to connect to the ethernet with ppp".  Basically I'm
> wanting to use the machine at home instead of my office.  I'm sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> SO, if I need to delete the default route to the internet via my ethernet
> card, how do I do that?  Do I use
>    'route del eth0'
> or do I need to type something like:
>    'route del netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0'
> I've never used the command 'route' before, but it looks to me like it is
> the one that will add or delete routes.  Thanks,
>
> Ric
>
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 11:29:28AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > klurt writes:
> > > you need to use PPPoE
> >
> > I think that he intended to write "I want to connect to the Internet with
> > ppp" rather than "I want to connect to the ethernet with ppp".

hmm.. sorry... i be confused.

i thought you were trying to use adsl w/ pppoe...
but i think to solve your problem, you would want to take a look at your
/etc/network/interfaces - you could use route, but you would have to route
del everytime you wanted to connect.  I'm assuming that in your
/etc/network/interfaces is a configuration for your office's LAN on eth0.
you would want to comment that out or just remove it completely. then if you
wanted to use your eth0 for your local LAN, you can config
/etc/network/interfaces for such a need... kinda like this:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.1.1     -> or use whatever addy you want
     network 192.168.1.0
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     broadcast 192.168.1.255
#or to use dhcp
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

i hope this helps solve the confusion and not add to it..
- k l u r t