Re: change ethernet to ppp, routing

On Wednesday 26 December 2001 11:06 am, otte@cats.ucsc.edu wrote:
> I just got a linux machine that is configured to use the ethernet card, but
> I want to connect to the ethernet with ppp.  I believe I've configured ppp
> fine, but perhaps not.  I seem to connect, but can't ping or connect to
> anything. When I look at /var/log/messages, I find the following message,
> which I believe is important:

you need to use PPPoE  (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet)

PPPoE is used to allow Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to use their
existing Radius authentication systems from their Dial-Up service over a
broadband based connection. Dial-Up (PPP), most broadband connections
(Ethernet), hence Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet.

to use PPPoE , you need:

    * a system with a 2.0-, 2.2- or 2.4-series kernel.
    * kernel support for "packet sockets"
    * the pppd daemon, version 2.3.7 or later. If you are using
demand-dialing, you need version 2.3.10 or later. For kernel 2.4, you need
pppd 2.4.
    * a working Ethernet card.

Roaring Penguin PPPoE - get it from: http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

or you can use the package for debian by doing:
apt-get install pppoe

i hope this gets you started in the right direction

- k l u r t