Re: Where do you RTFM ?

on Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 10:55:10PM -0500, Brian Nelson (nelson@bignachos.com) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

<...>

> > I don't dislike emacs keybindings per se (I find most legacy MS
> > Windows- centric word processors unusable because I expect to find
> > C-a, C-e, C-k, C-p, C-n, C-s, C-r, etc., on them.  Abiword's
> > supposed to have an emacs mode though I haven't got it to work).
> > That said, I find vi a more comfortable editor generally.
>
> The thing that really bothers me about vi is that it's very
> QWERTY-centric and feels very awkward with another layout, like
> Dvorak.  The most often-used keys are chosen due to their position in
> the home row, and are completely meaningless in any other context (for
> example, j moves down, k moves up???).

I have to agree.  I taught myself Dvorak at one point (about ten days to
get over the hump), and found it worked relatively well for text
editing in, say, a standard word processor.  But it absolutely blows
chunks with vi.

The problem isn't just vi, though.  _Most_ Unix commands are based on
mnemonic, consonant-heavy, abbreviations:  ls, cd, rm, mv, ll, who, vi,
ps, mutt, df....  Most of these are balanced between left and right
hands, leading to good natural rhythems, many are based on home-row
keys, etc.  Two of the most annoying Dvorak keytrokes are 'ls' (both
right pinky) and 'cd' (right middle top row, right index home left
reach).  It sounds trivial, but you end up typing these repeatedly, and
the motor memory is hard to break.

> Emacs' key bindings, however, are not aimed toward any particular layout
> but instead are often chosen as abbreviations of English words (C-n =
> next line, C-p = previous line, C-s = search, etc.).  Since the Dvorak
> layout has the most commonly used letters in the home position, these
> key bindings tend to feel more natural on Dvorak (at least to me).

Interesting, hadn't considered that.   Then again, who wants to
remember that escape-x-alt-control-left shift-b puts you into
super-edit-debug-compile mode?  ;-)

I've always found the emacs keystrokes to be considerably
_anti_-ergonomic.  Pessimal, really.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org