Re: man v. info

* Imre Vida (Imre.Vida@anat.uni-freiburg.de) spake thusly:
> hi,
>
> i just read the (sub)thread above on man v. info
> and i thought it is much more important than
> to have it hidden in there.  So i thought i try
> to pick it up again.
>
> The major sources of help/information for me are
> the apropos, the -h/--help options and the man pages.
> These are fast and efficient means to find what i want
> most of the time.
>
> As far as info is concerned, i fully agree with Karsten.
> It doesn't work intuitively for me either; i just get
> lost in the maze of links and 3 sentence pages....
> I hate it for this.
>
> The lack of manpages, and outdated manpages are frustrating.
> And what Karsten brought up is also a nice idea:
> to have examples in man pages. There are some manpages with examples
> but most of them are without although they are really helpful.

<mode="my $.02"> On IRIX, for one example, many man pages
do have EXAMPLES section; they had it for ages.

Writing a decent manpage is obviously way too hard. Let's
invent a maze of twisty little hyperlinks, all alike,
instead, and call it "info".</mode>

Dima
--
I have not been able to think of any way of describing Perl to [person]
"Hello, blind man?  This is color."                                      -- DPM