Re: Plip problems: do I need NFS server?

On Tue, 2001-12-25 at 05:24, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 24 Dec 2001, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > On Mon, 2001-12-24 at 03:36, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > I'm trying to set up plip on my desktop and laptop. Plip now runs, but
> > > I'm not sure how to continue.
> > >
> > > I'm working through the NFS Howto, with moderate success only. Anything
> > > else I should be reading?
> > >
> > > Question: is it essential to have a NFS server running on both machines
> > > or is portmap enough? If it is essential, I have a problem, because both
> > > nfs-kernel-server and nfs-user-server fail to install properly on my
> > > laptop.
> >
> > Describe moderate success?
> >
> > In lieu of that information I'll try to give a comprehensive list of
> > things:
> >

> Thank you; very helpful. I think you've answered the rather unformed
> questions I asked.
>
> > Both server and client are going to need the nfs-common package.
> >

> Got that.
>
> > Server needs in addition to nfs-common, the nfs-kernel-server or the
> > userspace server.
> >

> Got that on my desktop; neither will install properly on my laptop, for
> some reason, but the desktop can presumably act as server and allow
> transfer in both directions?

That's troubling.  What are the error messages when you try and install
the packages on the laptop?

The server allows bidirectional transfer to and from the mount.
Assuming you allow write on the server AND mount with write access on
the client you can write.  Of course then you're going to need to worry
about setting the things for executibles and root_squashing.  But lets
get you up and running before we confuse you ;>.

> > Server's /etc/exports file is going to need the listing of filesystems
> > or directories to export prefereably with the ip address of the client
> > over the plip link instead of world access.  Then exportfs -a -v should
> > tell you some information about exporting.
> >
> > The client needs nfs filesystem support in the kernel.  Make the
> > mountpoint for the nfs drive on the client.  mount server:/mountpoint
> > /mountpoint should do just fine unless you're going to need adjust
> > parameters for speed or performance over the PLIP link.  I've been quite
> > happy with the defaults over switched ethernet networks, YMMV.  If you
> > get a denial from the server it's going to take some work with the
> > /etc/exports file on the server to get it working.
> >

> This explains what I was unclear about; I'll try it out.

Let the list know if you need more help.

--mike