Plip problems: do I need NFS server?

I'm trying to set up plip on my desktop and laptop. Plip now runs, but
I'm not sure how to continue.

I'm working through the NFS Howto, with moderate success only. Anything
else I should be reading?

Question: is it essential to have a NFS server running on both machines
or is portmap enough? If it is essential, I have a problem, because both
nfs-kernel-server and nfs-user-server fail to install properly on my
laptop.

I want to make the whole thing as simple as possible; I'm not much
bothered about speed.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]