Re: Plip problems: do I need NFS server?

On Mon, 2001-12-24 at 03:36, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I'm trying to set up plip on my desktop and laptop. Plip now runs, but
> I'm not sure how to continue.
>
> I'm working through the NFS Howto, with moderate success only. Anything
> else I should be reading?
>
> Question: is it essential to have a NFS server running on both machines
> or is portmap enough? If it is essential, I have a problem, because both
> nfs-kernel-server and nfs-user-server fail to install properly on my
> laptop.

Describe moderate success?

In lieu of that information I'll try to give a comprehensive list of
things:

Both server and client are going to need the nfs-common package.

Server needs in addition to nfs-common, the nfs-kernel-server or the
userspace server.

Server's /etc/exports file is going to need the listing of filesystems
or directories to export prefereably with the ip address of the client
over the plip link instead of world access.  Then exportfs -a -v should
tell you some information about exporting.

The client needs nfs filesystem support in the kernel.  Make the
mountpoint for the nfs drive on the client.  mount server:/mountpoint
/mountpoint should do just fine unless you're going to need adjust
parameters for speed or performance over the PLIP link.  I've been quite
happy with the defaults over switched ethernet networks, YMMV.  If you
get a denial from the server it's going to take some work with the
/etc/exports file on the server to get it working.

--mike