DHCP  kernel 2.4.14 reiserfs potato/testing

I installed a a base fileserver this morning using Potato Reiser boot
floppies.  Everything went fine.  I am on a DHCP system and during
installation the IP addr was assigned and I had internet access.  I
installed the rest of the files using Debian/testing. I created 5 10G
partitions and installed the Reiser FS on them.  The problem is that
the 2.2.19 kernel would not recognize the Reiser FS?  Maybe a newer
reiserfsprogs that causes problems with 2.2.19 kernel (Just guessing?)

So, I compiled a 2.4.14 kernel with Reiser support.  The only network
options I added was the Intel NIC I was using.  The kernel compiled,
I rebooted and I was able to mount the Reiser partitions I had created
earlier.  BUT, DHCP quit working.  I ran ifconfig and no IP addr had
been assigned.  I could ping localhost but nothing else.

Are there any options I need to pick in the networking or network
devices section to get DHCP working on a compiled kerenl or should
it DHCP work "out of the box" without modifying any make menuconfig
options?

I started a new install again as in the first paragraph with the same
results, DHCP worked but Reiser partition could not be read.  I am
guessing that kernel 2.2.19 cannot read a Reiser FS created from a
Debian/testing reiserfsprogs but I am not sure why I could not get
DHCP working after compiling 2.4.14 kernel?  Any ideas?

Lance