upgrading woes (xfree and python)

My apt-sources is pointing to woody (upgrading from potato).

Problem #1: I did 'apt-get install xfree86-common xserver-common' and
now X won't run because it can't find the config file. Where is the
configurator program?

Problem #2: I'd like to install python 2.2 but apt-get wants to also
remove python1.5.2 which I want to retain. How can I have both on the
system at the same time? (It also wants to remove fetchmailconf because
it wants to remove python-tk!)

--
How could men dream of blaming themselves for their woes when they
have been persuaded that by nature they are inert, that the source