Re: upgrading woes (xfree and python)

Thus spake Rick Pasotto:
> My apt-sources is pointing to woody (upgrading from potato).
>
> Problem #1: I did 'apt-get install xfree86-common xserver-common' and
> now X won't run because it can't find the config file. Where is the
> configurator program?
XFree86 -configure (as root) will give you a XF86Config-4 file in
/root/ .  try it out with XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config-4 .
You should have the normal gray stippled background and a usable
mouse.  If not, tweak the file until your settings are correct - man
XF86Config-4 will help.  Once it's working OK, copy it to /etx/X11/ .
As a normal user, you'll have to have a ~/.xsession that specifies
your WM and whatever.  Then use startx.

As for the other problem, I understand some packages have to be
rebuilt against the new python versions, and it's just a question of
waiting.
HTH,
Steve
--