Re: need advice pls, the best cdwriter using with Linux

On Sunday 23 December 2001 06:57, Steve Kieu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My friend has a 8x4x32 Acer CD-Writer and I got a lot
> of trouble with the quality of recording, not for sure
> what is the reason. cdrecord informs that everything
> is ok but after that the newly created cd can not be
> mount ; no medium found, and using another cd drive is
> the same. Sometimes it is ok sometimes not (almost
> 50%). It is worse under windows 98 and cd-easy creator
> ...)
>
> I suspect the hardware or the disk, mostly I burnt
> using the cheap Sanyo CD-R 80min/700MB disk (the
> surface is light green, not gold color like gold
> ultima type).
>
> any one knows of the reason ? And I am going to buy a
> cd-writer for my self too then I need an advice for
> the type of cd-writer and the disk I should use.

Get a CD-Writer with Burn-Proof (or similar sounding) capability that
helps prevent coasters due to the dreaded buffer underrun (not enough
data being fed to your high-speed writer). An 8x4x32 is fairly ancient.
A decent writer now would be in the neighborhood of 16x10x40. Drives
manufactured by Plextor have long had Burn-Proof. Other 16x+ drives
should also have this capability, unless they decide to go the Yamaha
route (large 8MB or so buffers). My Writer now is a Liteon 16x10x40x
(cheap but with Burn-Proof).

BTW, the newer writers appear better able to cope with no-label CDR's
(or those of a Lesser Brand). As a matter of principle, I rarely buy
"branded" CDR's that come in fancy cases which only end up doubling our
un-biodegradable hi-tech waste. I make just as many coasters with
jewel-cased CDR's as with those that come only in store wrapping. The
caveat is to buy single before you buy the whole batch.

--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."