new mutt index/thread format

with a recent mutt update, my current version 1.3.24 started
displaying messages part of a thread as follows, if the original
(first) message of that thread had been deleted. i find this really
annoying -- visually that is. it took me some time to accept that
Junichi did not reply to Oohara...

267 N   Dec 22 Oohara Yuuma    |1.1K| Re: be my own official primary
268 N   Dec 22 Junichi Uekawa  |0.9K| ?-?->Re: Why isn't apt interna
269 N   Dec 22 Junichi Uekawa  |0.7K| +->Re: Why isn't apt internati

can this be changed back to the way it was before through a config
options?

dazed and confused, but trying to continue.