Re: What's a debian kid look like?

on Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 08:20:57PM -0800, Paul Mackinney (paul@mackinney.net) wrote:

> I'd love to find a local Linux group and meet people in person. Tried
> BAD once, very nice people, but by the end of the night I felt like
> the only person in the crowd who hadn't ever written a device driver.
> I'll try again sometime when they meet in the north bay, would also
> like to hear about other local groups.

I don't know what counts for "local", but if you're in the SF Bay Area,
you've got plenty of pickings.  Starting where you're at, there's a Cal
Berkeley LUG.  BAD meets at various locations (last was at Cafe Boronne,
a stone's throw from my apartment, after nobody had announced a location
up through the day prior and, ahem, someone took charge ;-).  BALUG
meets in San Francisco, Chinatown, reachable via BART and either a bit
of a hike, or Muni.  SVLUG meets in San Jose monthly.  Rick Moen's BALE
page lists any number of events, typically more than one per day.

    http://www.linuxmafia.com/bale/

I've seen people trekking from Santa Cruz and Davis to various events,
regularly.

And despite your impression of BAD, I suspect you're not as poor a fit
with the group as you think you are.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org