Re: /dev/cdrom problem...

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001, JP Glutting wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a problem with my device configuration. I have a CD player and a CD
> writer (/dev/hdc and /dev/hdd, respectively), and whenever I boot up it links
> up the writer on /dev/cdrom1, and the reader on /dev/cdrom2 (/dev/cdrom is,
> correctly a link to /dev/cdrom1). I can change the links, but they go back to
> the other configuration after a reboot. Of course, this screws up cd players,
> rippers, writers, etc.
>
> Any info on how to configure this correctly?

JP,

You don't give much information, but maybe you're using a kernel with
devfs mounted automatically (or you, or one of your /etc/init.d
scripts, are mounting it manually).  Since devfs is a virtual file
system (I like to think of its analogy to the /proc fs), any changes
made to it are not preserved across reboots (or actually across
unmounting and remounting it).

If my 'devfs' guess is correct, you can find more information about it
at:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html

Hope this helps,
Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics