Re: Internal Modem- compatibility

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 02:05:42PM -0800, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
| On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 chidambaram_ram@vsnl.net wrote:
|
| > Sub:Internal Modem -Comptibility I have an internal Modem Compaq
| > Presario 56K-VSC.Request to find out whether it is compatible to
| > Linux. It works well in Windows.Ramachandran.C
|
| Is it a WinModem?  If so, it's going to take more work than it's worth.
| Go get a real external serial (not USB) modem for easiest setup.  Is it
| a real internal modem(winmodems don't count)?  If so, it may be tricky
| and worth more work than it's worth.  Give it a shot, but be prepared to
| get a real external serial (not USB) modem for easiest setup.

I disagree here -- I have 2 real internal modems (different machines,
both are ISA, btw) and it was no trouble to set them up.  I also have
a printer that use the serial port (external, obviously).  I never got
the printer to work, but the modems were no trouble (just /dev/ttySn).

-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time