Problems wih starting X

Hallo Debian,

  I (Newbie to Linux) installed Debian woody few days ago and am facing
  some problems in starting X.

  I'm trying to start X with 'startx' and get following error message.

 ,------------ [ from XFree86.0.log ] ------------
|  VESA(0): no matching modes
|  Screens found, but none have a usable configuration

 I tried also to work with xviddetect and XF86Setup both commands were
 not found. If I'm using xf86config, I get the same problems as above.

 Do you how I can fix it?

 Thanks
--
Best regards,