Re: Strange Tidings !!

Thus spake shyamk@eth.net:
> I have two things that I did on Red Hat that I failed to
> on Debian :
>

> 1) I configured my sound card suuccessfully and even
> heard Elton John as well as Titanic on Red Hat Linux 7.1.
> But my Debian Potato r3 (that consists only of the free
> stuff - excludes the non-free stuff) , says - "Boss ! No!"
> they provide both aumix and splay (splay for listening) ,
> but when I try a splay -e   titanic.mp3 ,
> they say - "Can not find the sound device"
This has been a heavily discussed topic over the past week here - some
things to do are:
lsmod - do you have the correct sound modules loaded?
Are you a member of the audio group? (Does sound work as root?)
Do you have esd or something running, preventing other apps from using
/dev/dsp?
Check the archives for other helpful ideas.
> 2) My mouse : I use a Logitech 3 button serial port  - mouse .
> RedHat 7.1 fusses at first , and takes it.
> Debian does not take it !          :-
>    a) The console mouse services : gpm does not work
>    b) The F86Setup asks me questions , I do not know how to answer !
> like : which device : psaux , etc .
I don't use gpm, but if it is a serial mouse, rather than a PS2 one,
you want /dev/ttyS[0,1,2,3] - probably 0 if it's the first serial
port.  Protocol that works here is MouseMan, but I'm running X4
without gpm.  My advice here is to get gpm working correctly, and
then configure X to use gpmdata with a raw repeat - again, check the
archives for exact syntax and so forth.
HTH,
Steve
--
In this world, nothing is certain but death and taxes.
		-- Benjamin Franklin