Strange Tidings !!

I have two things that I did on Red Hat that I failed to
on Debian :

1) I configured my sound card suuccessfully and even
heard Elton John as well as Titanic on Red Hat Linux 7.1.
But my Debian Potato r3 (that consists only of the free
stuff - excludes the non-free stuff) , says - "Boss ! No!"
they provide both aumix and splay (splay for listening) ,
but when I try a splay -e   titanic.mp3 ,
they say - "Can not find the sound device"

2) My mouse : I use a Logitech 3 button serial port  - mouse .
RedHat 7.1 fusses at first , and takes it.
Debian does not take it !          :-
   a) The console mouse services : gpm does not work
   b) The F86Setup asks me questions , I do not know how to answer !
like : which device : psaux , etc .

Please guide me on these issues.

Warm Regards,
(shyamk@eth.net)