Re: Anyone using plip?

On 22 Dec 2001, Steve Kieu wrote:
>  --- Anthony Campbell <a.campbell@doctors.org.uk>
> wrote: > I've tried to get plip running, both in a
> monolithic
> > kernel and as a
> > module. No luck: dmesg reports "parport0 has no
> > irq".
>
> You have to specify io port and irq manually, this is
> intended as irq may be assigned to another hardware as
> required when you dont need plip.
>
> Let's do
>
> modprobe parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
>
> for example
>
> The parport_pc will detect io port and irq but it
> doesn't set using this irq, you should set it.

This doesn't work; I get:

	 sudo modprobe parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
	 modprobe: Can't locate module parport_pc

Anyway, never mind: I just forgot modules (as I usually do) and compiled
eveything into the kernel. Now, using the command line suggested in the
kernel parport.txt documentation, I have succeeded in loading the plip
driver. :)

However, the PLIP Howto is out of date and the author is not accessible
by email. Do you know which of the Debian files need to be modified to
make plip work? The current ones (in Woody) are different from those in
the PLIP Howto.

Anthony Campbell

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]