Re: stable gcc for sid

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 14:56:06 +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> Im keen on getting a stable version of a c++ compiler for sid. the version
> I have says that it is a debian prerelease version

That's because, technically speaking, it is. It is a stable release of gcc,
updated with CVS changes from the relevant branch (which essentially should
be bugfixes only).

> and tends to show internal error when compiling an application.

See /usr/share/doc/gcc-2.95/README.Bugs.gz for information on how to provide
useful bug reports.

In general, gcc's internal compiler errors often indicate "there is something
wrong with your code, but we haven't handled this case yet, so there's no
useful diagnostic to provide you with". It is often enlightening to try to
compile it with the latest packaged version, which may well have a
diagnostic to help you along.

> I also have gcc-3.0 installed - would simply removing this bring gcc back
> to a stable state ?

No. The gcc-3.0 packages and the 2.95 ones are independent.

HTH,
Ray
--
Sexual paranoia: did I once unknowingly sleep with THEM?