ppp daemon dies Newbie #61

Ben,

As user I made myself member of groups dialout and dip some time back and
this is therefore not the problem.

Anita,

I have the password in the file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets but in fact wvdial
connects with my username and password as in wvdial.conf  The file is user -
rw for sure and I am trying to connect as root.

John,

Not using a networked computer so copying the plog output across was more
than I could cope with lastnight, in any case see below. I did run pppconfig. I
really wanted to use wvdial - not sure why, probably ease of configuration and
anticipation of less problems

All,

I have decided to do a complete reinstall in the light of the following
considerations.

I have no data to lose
I have make mistakes
I am running in console mode only
Email has been part of GNU/Debian for years
The configuration of a single user on a standalone PC connecting to a dial-up
ISP is surely one of the major standard uses of a Linux box
The problems are therefore likely of my own making and not inherent in the
system. I have probably tended to rush in where angels fear to tread.

Finally, I have had my fill of going round and round looking at the same
things with no improvement (well, did get wvdial to connect). If one of you
were here it could probably be solved in no-time flat, but with my limited
skills this is not going to happen. I do not have the experience or knowledge.

So, my plan of action is as follows.

1.	I will do a reinstall from the CD paying careful attention to any entries
that I make.   I must assume that the email system is unlikely to be up and
running immediately after an install and that there will be various
configuration matters to attend to.
2.	I will then print out the relevant man pages and HOWTOS and do some
serious study of this and relevasnt chapters in my GNU/DEBIAN BIBLE
3.	I will then post a complete plan of action of exactly what I see needs to
be done for any comment.

Maybe I will do the reinstall tonight, but if not it may then have to wait until
after the festive season (local summer holiday season here until 2nd week in
Jan) as other matters are pressuring for my attention in the days and weeks
ahead (i have to  make a living).

So, wishing you all the best for the festive season, whatever your faith,
wherever you are, I will look to better success just now.

Regards
Ian

    Ian Balchin
    Grahamstown, South Africa.