Re: slattach woes

> A friend of mine tries to connect two pc's over the serial line
> with slattach, but failes. He comes to me, I try and fail:(
> So I turn to you guys. Please don't fail me:)
>
> According to Net-* a simple
>
>   # slattach /dev/ttyS0 &
>   # ifconfig sl0 A pointopoint B up
>   # route add B sl0
>
> on machine A, and on machine B the similar
>
>   # slattach /dev/ttyS0 &
>   # ifconfig sl0 B pointopoint A up
>   # route add A sl0
>
> should work.  But I can't ping to the other:(, there is no
> activity on sl0 (checked with ifconfig and xnetload)
> I do have A and B in /etc/hosts, don't know what else to do.
>
> O, and I get many
>
>   sl0: transmit timed out, bad line quality?
>
> on my console.
>
> --
> groetjes, carel

Perhaps the serial ports are not configured properly?
What is setserial output?

[13:54:32 tmp]$ setserial -ga /dev/ttyS?
/dev/ttyS0: Permission denied
/dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
/dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 2
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

/dev/ttyS3, Line 3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal

[10:39:33 tmp]$

It is not rare that /dev/ttyS0 is attached to the mouse. Perhaps you
should choose another serial device? Maybe the cable is not appropriate
(you probably need a null modem cable).
I guess that if the cable and devices are working properly then minicom
should work too, which can let you verify the serial stuff before
starting with the networking one.

--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(at-no-spam)bezeqint.net