Re: dpkg hiding packages?

[...]

> dpkg is the original tool and still the underlying one.  When it was first
> written the common usage was using dselect to find and install packages and
> dpkg was there when you needed to hand hold the system.
>
> dpkg mostly queries what is actually on your system.  apt is a fetch tool
> and thus knows about what is out there to be retrieved.
>
> You really need to think of apt like a web browser.  It knows how to show
> you what is out there and let you download it.

Hi Sean,

how does those tools should be used then?

presently, if I want to find out application XYZ is available I
"dpkg -l '*XYZ*'" and check the result. if i want something from the list, i
then "apt-get XYZ-whatever"

thanks

--
Billy Nadeau   -   bill@sanac.net
PGP Fingerprint 1702 404D 2F63 A799 B5A2  00A1 B362 C7BF 7325 8634