Gnome Difficulty

I had a very nice version of Gnome - loaded rapidly, four desktops, menus by key letters, cd player and mixer worked fine.

A windows application overwrote my debian system, uncorrectable errors.

Rebuilt from scratch - i.e. from a set of 4 official binary i386 cd's which installed Debian 2.2.17 and then allowed me to select many applications from the simple lists of packages.

When I originally did this I had the very nice version of Gnome. After the rebuild X Windows opened with a large Debian logo and a limited menu selection. I continued with a full dist-upgrade, downloaded kernel-source-2.2.19 and built a new kernel then added a file .xsession in my home directory containing exec /usr/bin/gnome-session.

Now X Windows takes 30 seconds to load a completely different layout of Gnome - one desktop, menus by mouse only, cd player works but mixer does not. Selecting mixer results in a message that the kernel must be compiled with sound! It is, of course, and both cdcd and Gnome's cd player work perfectly but I need the mixer to turn up the volume on the ES1371 chip.

Both versions of Gnome include all the programs I use and run them rapidly but I strongly prefer the version I had from my original installation.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the first version back and correctly installed?

Tom George