RE: alsa and sb16

Curtis Farnham <curtisfarnham@yahoo.com> wrote:

--snip-- <

00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5580 AudioPCI (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI128
        Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
        I/O ports at ec00
        Capabilities: [cd] #00 [0000]

--snip-- <
I currently have the latest alsa-driver beta package.  I'm running Woody
on an i586 K6 machine.  PnP OS has been disabled in my BIOS.  I am
positive that my sound card is SoundBlaster 16 PCI PnP.  (I bought it
less than a week ago, and I still have the box and all the
documentation, which hasn't been any help.)

I don't necessarily want to use ALSA.  I just want sound to come out of
my speakers.  I'd be grateful if anyone can help.

-Curtis

Curtis,

You apparently have a "SB16-PCI" card that uses a completely DIFFERENT audio chipset than the older SB16 "ISA" cards use. I suspect your fundamental problem is trying to use the wrong driver module.

According to the ALSA supported soundcard list at: http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/, the SB16-PCI card uses the ens1371 driver module, rather than the sb16 module. I suggest you give it a try.

You should NOT have to use any of the "isapnp" tools for this card. The PCI bus does PnP stuff quite well without any help in the 2.2.X kernels. The same is true of the 2.4.X series kernels....you don't need it, but having it on your system will NOT hurt anything. Don't worry about trying to set it up, unless you have something else that needs it.

I cannot "guarantee" this will completely solve your problem(s) since I don't have that particular card here, but I am fairlly certain that using the correct "driver" module will be a significant step!!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-