Re: Configuration of SiS 6326

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:29:49AM +0200, Serafim Zanikolas wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 11:51:40AM -0500, dman wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 01:53:10PM +0800, Jos? Netto wrote:
> > | Hi, i'm trying to configure my video card SiS 6326 in
> > | Debian GNU/Linux r3, and until now i can't do that.
> > | Please support me.
> >
> > Use the SVGA or the FBDev driver.  I can send you a (version 4)
> > XF86Config file that works with the card.  I got it to work using X
> > directly (SVGA driver), but now I'm using it with the VESA framebuffer
> > and the FBDev driver (see kernel docs for info on framebuffer).  It is
> > much easier to set up X using the framebuffer.  The tradeoff is loss
> > of acceleration (which is not much with that card).
> >

>    I'm currently working with the xserver-sis package but planning to
> jump to XFree4.x using the fb feature -- I'd appreciate if you could send
> that v4 XF86Config.

   I've already installed xserver-xfree86 (version 4.1.0-9) and it
seems to be excellent!  Faster than the xfree-sis server, no need for
xfs/xfs-xtt and a _very_ simple configuration.

   A piece of advice to Netto: if you have the option to compile/load a
kernel with framebuffer and vesa 2.0 support[1] don't even think not using
XFv4!

[1] I think that these features are in >=2.2.16 kernels. I use 2.2.19

--
Serafim Zanikolas                                       Proud of running
http://www.it.teithe.gr/~serzan                         Debian GNU/Linux