Re: NIS broken in debian 2.2?

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:44:49PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20011217115347.A1077@kearneys.ca>,
> Brent Kearney  <brent@kearneys.ca> wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 10:09:03AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> >>
> >> Did you setup /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/passwd correctly?
> >
> >My /etc/nsswitch.conf says:
> >
> >passwd:         files ldap
> >group:          files ldap
> >shadow:         files ldap
>
> Right, that's the problem. You didn't read /usr/share/doc/nis/
> nis.debian.howto.gz did you, it's all spelled out in there.
>
> In particular, /etc/nsswitch.conf needs to read:
>
> passwd:		compat
> group:		compat
> shadow:		compat
> netgroup:	nis

Oops; yes, in fact I did read the howto.  I had since changed
it to "files ldap" from "compat".  At the time of my original
post, nsswitch.conf was setup as per the howto.

I originally wanted to setup NIS as a temporary solution to give
the users access while I worked on setting up ldap.  In the mean
time, I did get ldap setup, however, the same thing happened with
ldap as happened with NIS.

Thanks to your reply though, I realized I forgot to take the +::
entries out of /etc/passwd and /etc/group.  Now that I've done
so, ldap is working for authentication, and I don't need NIS :).

However, as far as I can tell, NIS is indeed broken in this
distro.

Cheers,

Brent