Re: Gnome fonts, squares -- no, not the usual ;)

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [011216 22:37]:
> on Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 09:06:53PM -0500, Hall Stevenson (hallstevenson@mindspring.com) wrote:
> >
> > In gnome apps, hitting the numeric-pad 'Enter' key doesn't 'enter'.
> > It places a square box in the field, document, etc. In gnapster,
> > for example, typing '123', using the numeric-keypad, then hitting
> > the numeric-pad 'Enter' key, puts a square in the search field. In
> > gedit, I can type '123' and then hit the enter key and it looks like
> > this:
> >
> > 123*
> >
> > (replace the * with a square)
> >
> > For what it's worth, it looks just like the square people probably
> > saw with the 'other' font problem.
> >
> > Any help ??
> >
> > By the way, I'm running SID (last update 1-2 weeks ago). I'm using a
> > custom font with my gnome theme, "lucida", 10pt, ISO8859-1.
>
> What's xkeycaps tell you about that particular key and what it's
> entering? If not xkeycaps, another program that will give you the raw
> keysym.

Don't appear to have 'xkeycaps' installed... If the part below doesn't
help, I'll see about installing it.

> The 'square' is generally just an unprintable character. You might be
> able to paste it to another window and get the hex or octal code that
> way.

The 'enter' key works fine in Eterm. I can fill in a field in Opera (a
QT app) and use the 'enter' key to submit the data. It also works fine
with Netscape 4.7x.

It appears to be a problem with gnome apps only...

Hall