Re: Are the X server starup messages kept in a logfile anywhere?

Lo, on Friday, December 14, Karsten M. Self did write:

> on Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 09:31:34AM -0500, Stan Brown (stanb@awod.com) wrote:
> > I'm interested in reviewing how well I have the X server configured on a
> > new machine.
> >
> > Are the X server startup messages stored in a logfile somewhere?
>
> Depends on the X component.
>
>    - X server:         /var/log/XFree86.<display>.log

I'm not seeing this.  My guess is that this is only the case if you're
running [xkgw]dm.  In my case, I start X from the console, redirect the
server's output to a file, throw the X server in the background, and log
out of the console.  In that situation, X server output goes to whatever
file I specify.

Richard