Re: exim on a dialup

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 11:16:16AM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
| I use ppp and diald to connect to my ISP.
| What do I need to do to a new installation of Debian stable to get email?
| What should I use for reading email?

I like mutt.  It is a curses-based mailer (text only).  If you want a
gui, balsa is decent and simple.

| Do I need something besides exim to get the email? e.g. fetchmail?

Yes.  exim does not _get_ mail, it only transfers (to other machines)
and delivers mail.  fetchmail will fetch (get) your mail, and hand it
off to the local MDA (Mail Delivery Agent, exim) for delivery.

| I don't want anything fancy, just something that works while I learn about
| Debain.

If you want to get a bit more fancy, you can use something like
procmail to filter your mail.  It can be used, for example, to put
debian-user mail into a separate folder or to aviod spam.  Some people
have recommended 'mailfilter' (I think) as a program that can connect
to a POP server and test the headers for spam so that you can delete
spam before downloading it over your dial-up line.

HTH,
-D

--

Better a little with righteousness