Re: File Transfers

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:21:15 -0500, Seneca Cunningham wrote:

>I wish that the solution were so simple as this..
>
>Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, $0.00 solutions below:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:02:07PM -0500, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
>>> I am looking for a fast and reliable method for transferring files
>between
>>> systems.
>have
>>> no working Ethernet cards, and currently it is assorted packages as I
>setup
>>> the computer that this concerns, but later it will be datafiles > 10M, so
>CD
>>> sets don't fit my needs. To the option of using a parallel or serial
>cable
>>> as described in the HOWTOs, it cannot be used for a few reasons.
>>
>> Option 1. "split" files into small files and move by floppy.
>>   dos program should be available somewhere or use cygwin
>>   Merging shall be something like:
>>   $ cat file1 file2 >merged-file
>>   > copy /b file1 file2 merged-file
>>
>> Option 2.  Open box and unplug harddisk.
>> For deb -> win,
>>   make small vfat directory and drop files.
>>   move drive to win machine and boot and read.
>> For win -> deb
>>   move hdd to deb side and mount it and read
>>
>> Anyway, you seem to have a lot of hardware problems.  Fix it first by
>> moving/borrowing cdrom drive.  Slow cdrom and ethernet card cost less
>> than $30 only each.  4 hours of work for each at humberger shop.
>
>... but Option 1 is similar to what I do now, and some of my datafiles would
>need 10 floppies at their current size, and as I build algorithms to get
>past the limitations of data types, the number of floppies will increase,
>and Option 2 cannot be done with my systems because of different drivebays.
>The machine with the bad CD drive uses a standard 3.5" drivebay, but the
>destination computer uses a 2.5" drivebay (and I thought I finally found a
>use for the 100M harddisk that is laying on my desk).

Maybe I'm talking out of my uh, ignorance, but this has worked for me;
You don't have to "mount" the transfer drive physically.  Change the
jumpers as needed, and plug the cables in.  The drive can lie there on
the table while data goes whipping around.  Then unplug, rejumper and
take it back where it came from.  You'll need to create appropriate fs's
and mount points, etc., but that doesn't seem to be your hangup.

gt

Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash