Re: File Transfers

Hardware and budgetary issues add difficulty to finding a fast and reliable
method for transferring files between systems...

Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 10:21:15PM -0500, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > The amusing part about getting an ethernet card is that I have 2 that
are
> > physically compatible with my Debian computer, but both of them are
broken.

> [another]
>
> > Any more ideas for two awkward computers in an awkward situation?
>
> You do realize that two 100BaseT Ethernet cards, compatible with
> Linux, can be obtained for $25?  Why fool around with makeshift
> stuff, unless you're so poor you can't get the cards by skipping
> lunch three times?

Lunch? What's lunch? Oh... I remember now. That's when I'm in the lab
working on my computer science assignments because I don't have money for
the cafeteria. And $25? If I were to spend that much, I would not be able to
even go to school except by walking for 8km on poorly lit streets at night
(transit costs me between $40-$70/month). My budget is extremely tight.

But enough about the tight budget of a student. The Debian computer happens
to use PCMCIA cards, unlike the connected computer, a Windows98 machine,
with a built in ethernet port, that I am not allowed to alter in any way,
shape, or form (although I was sorely tempted when Windows zapped its own
ability to startup).

The question asked before still holds. Any ideas?

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com