Re: How to capture start up messages?

Karsten

How do I 'boot single'?

I managed to miss Brenda's message.  Would you send me a string to
use to search the archives (once they are posted on debian.org)

Finally what FM do I R to find out some of these things. I like
to just read the manuals -- when I have time. It's final exam time,
and I'm a prof. Just point me, please.

David

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:59:37PM -0500, Stan Brown (stanb@awod.com) wrote:
> > I need to be able to capture the start up messages issued when my woody
> > system boots.
> >
> > dmesg only gives me up to the point control is transfered from the kernel,
> > and I'm seeing erros after that, that flash by to quickly to read.
> >
> > How can I do this?
>
> Boot single.  Then run your init scripts one-at-a-time, by hand.  See
> /etc/init.d/README or Brenda's recent post here for instructions /
> descriptions of sysv init.
>
> The remaining messages that aren't captured are the kernel and device
> output (e.g.:  SCSI initalization) which aren't captured to either dmesg
> or output by sysv scripts.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?             Home of the brave
>   http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/                   Land of the free
>    Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org
> Geek for Hire                     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/resume.html

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)