Re: How to capture start up messages?

on Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:59:37PM -0500, Stan Brown (stanb@awod.com) wrote:
> I need to be able to capture the start up messages issued when my woody
> system boots.
>
> dmesg only gives me up to the point control is transfered from the kernel,
> and I'm seeing erros after that, that flash by to quickly to read.
>
> How can I do this?

Boot single.  Then run your init scripts one-at-a-time, by hand.  See
/etc/init.d/README or Brenda's recent post here for instructions /
descriptions of sysv init.

The remaining messages that aren't captured are the kernel and device
output (e.g.:  SCSI initalization) which aren't captured to either dmesg
or output by sysv scripts.