Printing HOWTOs a problem. Newbie #61

Hi, Brenda says,

> > After a few pages the printing suddenly slips down the
> > page and is then across the tear line of the continuous
> > stationary that I use.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "suddenly"...  it seems
> a problem of this sort should happen gradually unless
> the paper is slipping in the printer.

On printing the Net-HOWTO we start off fine with pages 1-6 all
aligned correctly then page 7 slips.

In fact I see what the problem is now that I look more closely
instead of just getting frustrated and angry at it.

Page 7 has dotted and other lines making up table headers that are
80ch wide with the last 19 ch or more wrapping to the next line.
This is causing the text to spill over the perforation and move
the page down.

However I note that the start of the dotted line is 1.5" into the
page starting from the margin line. A zero margin would _not_ fix
it.

If you do $zless /usr/share/dic/HOWTO/en-txt/Net-HOWTO.txt.gz you
will even see this on-screen in section 5.1.2

I would say, therefore, that this and many other documents have
formatting errors within them.

Short of editing the document,the only solution that comes to mind
is probably to print at 12cpi.

I see that my HOWTO is v.1.6.2 dated December 1999.  The thought
comes to mind that this may well have been corrected in the
meantime.  Maybe I should dial in and update all the HOWTO's
although my Debian distribution, on CD, was supposed to be the
latest version, well it is Potatoe anyway, but I have found later
versions of some HOWTOs on the author's web pages. I had to get
the latest ISP-Hookup-HOWTO from the web as the packaged version
had errors (plain even to me) such as missing lines.

Thanks for all the comments from greg, dman and gary as well, some
useful info there and seeing as the paper level is diving
dramatically I will certainly look at CUPS to get 2 pages per
page. Might be nicer if I used the laser printer for that.

regards
Ian
   Ian Balchin
   Fables Bookshop, 119 High Street, Grahamstown, 6139, South Africa
   email  fables@imaginet.co.za
   Phone or Fax +27-(0)46-636-1525
   cell:  083-495-7353  sms 0834957353@sms.co.za
   Founder Member Southern African Book Dealers Association
   http;//www.imaginet.co.za/fables
       Human beings have their great chance in the novel.
     E.M. Forster in `Contemporary Literary Critics' 1977.