Re: Printing HOWTOs a problem. Newbie #61

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:26:55 +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I print out some of the HOWTOs for reading.
>
>say ...........
>
>$ zless /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Net-HOWTO.txt.gz | pr -o4 | lpr
>
>After a few pages the printing suddenly slips down the page and is then across
>the tear line of the continuous stationary that I use.
>
>This has happened on all of the HOWTOs that I have printed, and despite
>repositioning the paper in the middle of the print run, it will happen again
>and again after a few pages each time.
>
>It seems that the HOWTO documents have incorrect page-breaks, but how can
>this be after all this time?  Is there something I could/should be doing to
>correct this?

The HOW-TOs I've printed were self paginated.

>Note that I pipe through the pr programme to use the -o4 setting for the

pr paginates every 66 lines by default, putting a header at the top and
5 blank lines at the bottom.  Perhaps the two paginations are != and are
heterodyning.  This is a guess on my part.

Another guess--when you set the margin, you might need to add that
margin to the line width i.e. -w 76.  The wrap could cause the page
markers in the HOWTOs to advance as line count is incremented.
Definitely a SWAG.

I was just reading this stuff last night--doesn't mean I understand it.

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash