configuring my network settings

Hello.  I am brand new to this.  When replying to me, you may write me at
spongyboy@yahoo.com
and share your ideas about my problem.
I have a c309 ether net card.  This is hooked up to a hub.  The hub goes
into a fire wall box.  The fire wall box is what is attached to a d s l
modem.  But the linux box is not the computer with the d s l software on it.
My friend has d s l.  His machine is the one with the win poet software.
What network protocal should I use to access the net?  When using windows, I
just start internet explorer.  My computer just looks for a l a n
connection.  How can a linux machine do the same thing?