ACPI (was: Re: system hang while using Gimp aggressively)

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 22:25, Matt wrote:
> As for your freezing problem, if you're running ext2 or some other
> filesystem that gets damaged (sometimes) when you don't shutdown, try
> installing ACPI for your system power button.  This way, if X freezes
> you can press the power button and your system will halt as usual, no
> CTRL-ALT-BS needed to save your system. (There's a Magic SysRq way to do
> this too.. but I forget.)

Just tried that on my box (I've a similar problem when using Xinerama -
gdm crashes when I log out, leaving me in the same situation as Paul.
Haven't tried ssh but I can't easily use it to_ this machine).

Using the example from the acpi man page, I've got the system shutting
down when I hit the power button...only it's a bit overenthusiastic and
just switches off the power! It does this regardless of what I put in
/etc/acpi/events/default. Before installing acpid pressing the power
button briefly didn't do anything, so it's picking up the event.

What do I need to get it to switch runlevel and shutdown cleanly? I've
had a trawl around the web, but documentation seems a little thin on the
ground.

--
Geoff Beaumont
Geoff@stormhammer.com