Re: Printing HOWTOs a problem. Newbie #61

On Thursday, December 13, 2001 2:26 PM, fables@imaginet.co.za wrote:

> I print out some of the HOWTOs for reading.
>
> say ...........
>
> $ zless /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Net-HOWTO.txt.gz | pr -o4 | lpr
>
> After a few pages the printing suddenly slips down the page and is then
across
> the tear line of the continuous stationary that I use.

This is usually because the number of lines per page your
printer uses is different from your output.

On a line printer, you can either use line feeds to advance
your page, or send a form feed to ask the printer to do it.
Some printers will automatically advance a page once a
certain number of lines are printed.

You probably just need to adjust the number of lines pr
assumes your printer expects per page and maybe set it
to use form feeds (see the -l and -f options).  But, depen-
ding on your hardware, you might have to change some
of its settings.

Some lpr's try to cook your output on the way out so you
might be fighting that as well (some even use pr as a filter :) ).

You'll need to experiment.

Best,

  -=greg