Weird problem installing Debian

I've got a spare machine which I'm trying to put Debian on. It's a K6-2 450,
128MB RAM, 10GB HD. Not a bad machine at all. I've had trouble putting Debian
on it before, and ended up using Redhat. I'd love to get Debian working on it,
cos I find Debian so much easier to use (that sounds almost blasphemous). So
here's my problem.

It's got a 3Com Etherlink III card in it. Not a bad card, well supported. The
module installs for it - the link light on the hub lights, it accepts the IP
address I've put in - everything seems to be going fine. HOWEVER, I can't ping
the machine, NOR can I get any network connectivity out. I've booted with the
idepci boot disks and the standard bootdisks for both the stable and testing
releases - same problem. It's not a hardware issue - Redhat works just fine on
that machine. So where am I going wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

"I do not agree with what you say,
but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778)