Re: moving to Debian

Matt Greer wrote:

>Hello,

>If I did decide on woody, how exactly would I install it? I know that
>question has been asked many times, but I'm confused about the optimal >way to do it. Most seem to suggest installing a very minimal potato >(although what "minimal" means I'm not exactly sure, kernel, modules, >bash, apt?), then do "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade". This would >require unstable sources in my source.list file, right?

As in when you install potato, and you encounter dselect for the first
time, exit from it (and you've just installed enough to make your
machine boot) or before exiting, don't install X, the compilers,
stripping everything until you can't strip any more packages.

Then you edit the sources.list file and replace all references of
stable to testing. Then run apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade.

If you can't afford the bandwidth, there should be some entities who
sell unofficial woody CD's.

>Does this upgrade the kernel and/or lilo? Just reboot and there's >woody?

woody won't upgrade your kernel. But there are a lot of things that
would change when you commit an upgrade from potato to woody.

>If I did stick with Potato, there's a couple things I'm not sure about. >What is USB support like in 2.2.x kernels? Most USB documentation I can >find is on 2.4.x kernels. I tried just modprobing in usb-uhci and then >going on to hid, etc like I would in 2.4.x, but my system totally >locked up on me.

there are USB patches for 2.2. But USB is explicitly supported in 2.4.

>How could I install SDL in potato? I tried but found myself in an >apt/dpkg nightmare. Lots of failed dependencies and libraries that >weren't new enough. Would installing something like this from source >affect apt in any way? Would I have to tell apt that SDL is installed?

Apt was designed that way so there won't be too much problems when you
upgrade it later. It tries to resolve all dependencies so that you'd
not end up in an unusable system. It actually works better than the
other means/methods, once you get used to it.

>Is there any documentation out there on installing Nvidia drivers for a >pre 4 X server and 2.2 kernel? Nvidia assumes you're running the latest >releases.

That's as good as it gets.

>Is there good documentation on all the package management programs? I >find apt and all its cousins a bit confusing :)

check the contents of /usr/doc after a default install.

>Sorry if I'm being too vague. I no longer have Debian installed. My
>computer is the gateway/NAT for my LAN, and people weren't willing to
>have their net connection go up and down so I could play :) (I'm
>looking into getting a dedicated server for that).

You can always try again.

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com