Re: exim on a dialup

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 08:04, ben wrote:
> i've just managed to get exim set up on a dialup connection. localhost gets
> mentioned in the headers. does that matter a damn?

I once got angry mail from a guy from this list whose sendmail rewrote
the localhost part in my headers with the machine name of his sendmail
host. So I suggest to set qualify_domain = yourmachine.yourhomedomain in
/etc/exim/exim.conf, where yourhomedomain is a not-official domain name
like home or localnet. Also adapt the rewrite rule in the REWRITE
section:

*@yourmachine.yourhomedomain ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                                               {$value}fail} frFs

This will then rewrite the mail headers of accounts set in
/etc/email-addresses to the headers of the accounts at the ISP.

The ugly thing with the rewriting is that the above rule in the
eximconfig-generated conf file rewrites always, regardless of
destination, i.e., also for local mail that stays on your machine or
network (Which means that replys to local mail want to go over the ISP
account, which is often not what's wanted). There is a exim FAQ at
http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#SEC241 about this. I tried to figure it out
yesterday, with no success so far. Oh, the headaches.

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government