Re: moving to Debian

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:08:37 -0600, Matt Greer wrote:
> If I did decide on woody, how exactly would I install it? I know that
> question has been asked many times, but I'm confused about the optimal way to
> do it. Most seem to suggest installing a very minimal potato

That used to be the best way. By now, the boot-floppies for woody are coming
along nicely, and I'd recommend installing from them
(debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/current on your favourite mirror).

> This would require unstable sources in my source.list file, right?

No, testing sources. Currently:
	Code name	Role
	potato		stable
	woody		testing
	sid		unstable

sid is a permanent codename for unstable. When woody is released, it'll be
	woody		stable
	sarge		testing
	sid		unstable

> Does this upgrade the kernel and/or lilo?

Lilo yes, the kernel not necessarily (you'll need to install a new
kernel-image-[version] package if you want it to be upgrade).

> Just reboot and there's woody?

If you don't upgrade the kernel, there is no need for a reboot.

> If I did stick with Potato, there's a couple things I'm not sure about. What
> is USB support like in 2.2.x kernels?

AFAIK, for most of 2.2.x it was not very functional, but that changed in the
later 2.2.x kernels.

> Most USB documentation I can find is on 2.4.x kernels. I tried just
> modprobing in usb-uhci and then going on to hid, etc like I would in
> 2.4.x, but my system totally locked up on me.

I'd recommend using a 2.4.x kernel. 2.2.x kernels are quite stable (and I'd
recommend them for stability on servers), but 2.4.x contains many updates
driver-wise.

HTH,
Ray
--
The "Penguin Powered" logos people love should really be "Penguin
Empowered". That, I think, is the best thing about Linux, too. We've given