Getting email together with dman Newbie #61

Brenda et al,

a few points overlooked.

1.  I was running wvdial manually on its own, $ wvdial, so expected
that it would connect and relinquish control back to the prompt. It
does no have its own prompt to accept input, and all the iinfo was
on- screen.

2.  $ ifconfig generates

lo	Link encap:local loopback
 inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask 255.0.0.0
 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING.............

S10	Link encap:Serial line IP
 inet addr:192.168.0.0 .....................................
 UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING.......................

have edited the above for brevity.

3 if i run $ ifconfig ppp  it generates

ppp: error fetching interface information: device not found

4.  I am perhaps confusing a nameserver address with an ISP address.
 I read it that the name server can be remote from the ISP (unless
he runs one himself) to provide a numerical address for
somebody@somedomain.somewhere so that the email can be then sent to
that address.  If I am using my ISP as a smarthost I do not need
this.  Still, I will call them today and check this out.

5.  I have looked carefully through Muttrc and can find no unneeded
lines with reference to POP or my ISP except for the one commented
out re latter when I gave it an unsuccessful try previously

Regards
    Ian Balchin
    Grahamstown, South Africa.