Re: Getting email together with dman Newbie #61

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 08:17:18AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> Brenda et al,
>
> a few points overlooked.
>
> 1.  I was running wvdial manually on its own, $ wvdial, so expected
> that it would connect and relinquish control back to the prompt. It
> does no have its own prompt to accept input, and all the iinfo was
> on- screen.

Heh, well after all that hand-waving about using wvdial, it
seems I don't actually use it on a day-to-day basis.

I use the scripts pon and poff (supplied in ppp package).
I have attached them to menu items that are presented
in X-Windows.

In any case, wvdial still works, I tried it at the command line
and here is the output:

========== wvdial output ==========

seal:/etc/ppp/peers# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT my-isps-phone-number-here
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT my-isps-phone-number-here
CONNECT 19200/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
User Access Verification
Username:
Username:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: bjb
bjb
Password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
ottawa4>
--> Hmm... a prompt.  Sending "ppp".
ppp
Entering PPP mode.
Async interface address is unnumbered (Ethernet0)
Your IP address is ww.xx.yy.zz. MTU is 1500 bytes
Header compression will match your system.
--> Looks like a welcome message.
--> Starting pppd at Thu Dec 13 22:06:01 2001

========== wvdial output ==========

I am running as root.  Now I see why I probably gave up on
wvdial, it is running at 19.4Kb and the modem is capable of
33.8.  I think I failed to configure it better and gave up
on it.  Also I wanted regular users to be able to dial
up.

To hang up, I typed ctl-C into the xterm where wvdial
was running:

========= more wvdial output ========
Caught signal #2!  Attempting to exit gracefully...
--> Disconnecting at Thu Dec 13 22:10:55 2001
seal:/etc/ppp/peers#
========= more wvdial output ========

--
bjb@achilles.net